Close Menu
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • Movie & OTT Releases This Week
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • NRI Life
  • Research
  • Advertise with us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Trending
  • Pallaburusu Movie Review 2026: A Heartwarming Telangana Family Drama That Will Win You Over
  • Magudam Movie Review: Vishal’s Bold Directorial Debut Delivers Mass Entertainment in 2026
  • Batwara 1947 Movie Review 2026: Sunny Deol’s Heartfelt Partition Saga Is A Must-Watch Tribute To Unity
  • Awarapan 2 Review 2026: Emraan Hashmi’s Emotional Comeback Sets Screens On Fire
  • Vishwanath and Sons Review 2026: Suriya’s Heartwarming Family Blockbuster Wins Big
  • The Traitors Season 2 Review 2026: Karan Johar’s Explosive Reality Game Returns Bigger and Better
  • Agadha Movie Review 2026: A Powerful Supernatural Thriller That Delivers Spine-Chilling Thrills
  • Vadhandhi Season 2 Review (2026): A Gripping, Powerful Thriller Anchored By Sasikumar’s Career-Best Performance
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • News
    • National
    • International
    • Entertainment
    • Achievements
    • Scam Alerts
    • Business
    • Health & Medicine
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Latest Movie Releases
    • Latest OTT Releases
  • NRI Life
  • India & Culture
  • Health & Wellness
  • Research
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Home » News » International
International

AU chief offers condolences over Zimbabwe ferry tragedy as death toll hits 94

Indian Community Editorial TeamBy Indian Community Editorial TeamAugust 19, 20262 Mins ReadNo Comments Add us to Google Preferred Sources
AU chief offers condolences over Zimbabwe ferry tragedy as death toll hits 94
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Harare, Aug 19 (IANS) African Union (AU) Commission Chairperson Mahmoud Ali Youssouf on Wednesday expressed condolences to the government and people of Zimbabwe following the Lake Kariba ferry disaster, which has claimed 94 lives.

“At this difficult moment of grief, my thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved families and with all those who survived this tragic incident,” Youssouf said on the social media platform X. “I wish them strength, comfort and healing as they cope with this profound loss.”

Youssouf added that the AU stands in solidarity with the people of Zimbabwe and the affected communities.

Official figures showed that, as of Tuesday, 77 passengers had been rescued, 94 bodies retrieved, and fewer than 10 people remain missing, Xinhua news agency reported.

The Zimbabwean government on Tuesday launched a formal inquest into the Lake Kariba ferry capsize disaster, a cabinet minister said.

Acting Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minister Monica Mutsvangwa told a post-cabinet media briefing in the Zimbabwean capital of Harare that preliminary investigations indicate that the passenger ferry, which capsized on Lake Kariba on August 11, was carrying about 180 passengers and goods, thus exceeding its carrying capacity.

The vessel reportedly capsized after being struck by strong waves. Mutsvangwa said the government notes that the Meteorological Services Department had issued an early warning advising all lake users against sailing.

Mutsvangwa noted 77 passengers were rescued, 93 deceased persons were retrieved as of August 18 while seven people who were confirmed by relatives to have been on the boat are still missing.

“The government has commenced formal investigations which include examining the structural remains of the vessel and probing on operational and compliance issues,” Mutsvangwa said.

Speaking at the same press briefing, Local Government and Public Works Minister Daniel Garwe attributed the accident to human error and negligence by the boat captain, who proceeded with the journey despite early weather warnings from the Meteorological Services Department advising against sailing.

Garwe dismissed speculation that the boat was unfit to sail, confirming it held a valid fitness certificate issued by the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure Development.

The cabinet has approved a full inquest to determine the exact circumstances that led the late captain to disregard early warnings and safety protocols.

–IANS

/as

Add us to Google Preferred Sources
Indian Community Editorial Team

The Indian Community Editorial Team curates, verifies, and publishes stories that matter to Indians worldwide. From culture and community to business and innovation, our mission is to spotlight voices, ideas, and events that bring our global community closer together. Have news or a story to share? Submit it to us at [email protected].

Add A Comment

135th Durand Cup: Defending champs NorthEast United meet Mohun Bagan in high-stakes semifinal

August 19, 2026

Gaby Lewis to lead 14-member Ireland squad for England series

August 19, 2026

Vijay Deverakonda spends the day chilling with parents as shoot gets cancelled due to rain

August 19, 2026

Harman Singha: Before Munawar Faruqui sets foot, his reputations walks into a room

August 19, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
About Us
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
Corporate
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
© 2026 Designed by CreativeMerchants.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.