Close Menu
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • Movie & OTT Releases This Week
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • NRI Life
  • Research
  • Advertise with us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Trending
  • Pallaburusu Movie Review 2026: A Heartwarming Telangana Family Drama That Will Win You Over
  • Magudam Movie Review: Vishal’s Bold Directorial Debut Delivers Mass Entertainment in 2026
  • Batwara 1947 Movie Review 2026: Sunny Deol’s Heartfelt Partition Saga Is A Must-Watch Tribute To Unity
  • Awarapan 2 Review 2026: Emraan Hashmi’s Emotional Comeback Sets Screens On Fire
  • Vishwanath and Sons Review 2026: Suriya’s Heartwarming Family Blockbuster Wins Big
  • The Traitors Season 2 Review 2026: Karan Johar’s Explosive Reality Game Returns Bigger and Better
  • Agadha Movie Review 2026: A Powerful Supernatural Thriller That Delivers Spine-Chilling Thrills
  • Vadhandhi Season 2 Review (2026): A Gripping, Powerful Thriller Anchored By Sasikumar’s Career-Best Performance
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • News
    • National
    • International
    • Entertainment
    • Achievements
    • Scam Alerts
    • Business
    • Health & Medicine
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Latest Movie Releases
    • Latest OTT Releases
  • NRI Life
  • India & Culture
  • Health & Wellness
  • Research
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Home » News » International
International

Belgium wildfire burns about 3,000 hectares, several hotspots remain active

Indian Community Editorial TeamBy Indian Community Editorial TeamAugust 16, 20263 Mins ReadNo Comments Add us to Google Preferred Sources
Belgium wildfire burns about 3,000 hectares, several hotspots remain active
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Brussels, Aug 16 (IANS) A wildfire in Belgium’s High Fens area had burned about 3,000 hectares by Sunday morning, making it the largest blaze on record in the country, with several hotspots still active, local media reported.

Liege Governor Herve Jamar said around 600 evacuated residents were still unable to return home. No homes had been affected overnight, though the fire remained close to residential areas and heavy smoke persisted.

The fire, which covered about 60 hectares when it broke out Friday, expanded rapidly over the weekend. Jamar said more than 250 emergency personnel worked through the night. Media reports said firefighters from more than 15 emergency zones across Belgium were involved, alongside teams from Germany and Luxembourg, as well as Belgian Civil Protection, federal police, and military personnel.

Belgian Prime Minister Bart De Wever on Sunday thanked emergency teams from across the country for their efforts and European partners for their assistance, while expressing support for those affected by the wildfire, Xinhua News Agency reported.

The Walloon risk coordination centre CORTEX said two Belgian federal police helicopters and two Dutch Chinook helicopters, each using a Bambi Bucket capable of carrying about 7,600 litres of water, were supporting firefighting operations Sunday morning. Swedish firefighting aircraft remained on standby under the EU Civil Protection Mechanism.

Firefighters were focusing on a roughly one-kilometre-wide front near the German border, where the terrain was difficult for ground vehicles to access. Across the border, the situation in the German town of Monschau had improved by Sunday morning after residents were earlier told to prepare for a possible evacuation, local media reported.

After the crisis meeting Sunday morning, David Dehenauw, head of the weather forecasting service at Belgium’s Royal Meteorological Institute, said the fire was advancing eastward and could spread against the wind because it was also spreading along the ground. Winds were expected to strengthen Sunday afternoon. Only 1 to 2 mm of rain was forecast for Monday morning, with more rain expected Tuesday and Wednesday, though it remained unclear whether the rainfall would be enough to help contain the fire.

Dehenauw also said the estimate of about 3,000 hectares could be refined later in the day once helicopters and drones were able to survey the area.

Smoke from the blaze had spread as far as about 80 km from the fire zone, reaching parts of the Belgian provinces of Namur and Luxembourg. Local authorities in those areas advised residents to keep doors and windows closed, switch off ventilation systems and limit outdoor activity.

–IANS

ksk/vd

Add us to Google Preferred Sources
Indian Community Editorial Team

The Indian Community Editorial Team curates, verifies, and publishes stories that matter to Indians worldwide. From culture and community to business and innovation, our mission is to spotlight voices, ideas, and events that bring our global community closer together. Have news or a story to share? Submit it to us at [email protected].

Add A Comment

Youngster Ortega sets Real Madrid youth system transfer record

August 17, 2026

Taapsee Pannu: Cinema becomes interesting when female characters are allowed to be flawed, complicated

August 17, 2026

Amaal Mallik speaks on the ease of working with Armaan Malik, Arijit Singh

August 17, 2026

Kerala: Four SFI activists remanded to judicial custody for ‘manhandling’ VC

August 17, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
About Us
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
Corporate
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
© 2026 Designed by CreativeMerchants.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.