Close Menu
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • Movie & OTT Releases This Week
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • NRI Life
  • Research
  • Advertise with us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Trending
  • Pallaburusu Movie Review 2026: A Heartwarming Telangana Family Drama That Will Win You Over
  • Magudam Movie Review: Vishal’s Bold Directorial Debut Delivers Mass Entertainment in 2026
  • Batwara 1947 Movie Review 2026: Sunny Deol’s Heartfelt Partition Saga Is A Must-Watch Tribute To Unity
  • Awarapan 2 Review 2026: Emraan Hashmi’s Emotional Comeback Sets Screens On Fire
  • Vishwanath and Sons Review 2026: Suriya’s Heartwarming Family Blockbuster Wins Big
  • The Traitors Season 2 Review 2026: Karan Johar’s Explosive Reality Game Returns Bigger and Better
  • Agadha Movie Review 2026: A Powerful Supernatural Thriller That Delivers Spine-Chilling Thrills
  • Vadhandhi Season 2 Review (2026): A Gripping, Powerful Thriller Anchored By Sasikumar’s Career-Best Performance
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • News
    • National
    • International
    • Entertainment
    • Achievements
    • Scam Alerts
    • Business
    • Health & Medicine
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Latest Movie Releases
    • Latest OTT Releases
  • NRI Life
  • India & Culture
  • Health & Wellness
  • Research
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Home » News » International
International

DR Congo Ebola outbreak remains global health emergency as cases surge

Indian Community Editorial TeamBy Indian Community Editorial TeamAugust 19, 20263 Mins ReadNo Comments Add us to Google Preferred Sources
DR Congo Ebola outbreak remains global health emergency as cases surge
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Kinshasa, Aug 19 (IANS) The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) remains a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC), as the epidemic surpasses 5,000 cases, spreads into new areas and prompts authorities to pursue experimental vaccines and treatments.

The outbreak is now the second-largest Ebola outbreak ever recorded and is spreading faster than all previous ones, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at an emergency committee meeting.

As of Sunday, 5,021 confirmed cases and 2,378 deaths had been reported across 55 health zones in six provinces, with a case fatality rate of 47.4 per cent, according to the latest WHO tally.

The epidemic, caused by the Bundibugyo ebolavirus, has surpassed the 2018-2020 Ebola outbreak in eastern DRC, previously the country’s deadliest. The Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said Monday that the current outbreak is killing roughly one person every 30 minutes and risks becoming the deadliest Ebola epidemic ever recorded globally if its trajectory is not urgently reversed.

“We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control,” Tedros said. “It had a big head start, and we are still playing catch-up.”

During the first 95 days of reporting, the seven-day moving average rose to more than 90 confirmed cases a day, substantially higher than at the same stage of the 2014-2016 West Africa epidemic and the DRC’s 2018-2020 outbreak, according to a WHO situation report, Xinhua news agency reported.

The eastern province of Ituri remains the epicentre, accounting for 84.8 per cent of cumulative cases, but infections are accelerating in neighbouring provinces. The WHO warned that high mortality, deaths outside treatment facilities, a growing surveillance workload and uneven response capacity indicate that current measures are not sufficient to interrupt transmission.

DRC Health Minister Roger Kamba said the outbreak had spread unusually fast despite a “very rapid and very vigorous” response. He suggested that Bundibugyo’s less distinctive early symptoms allow infected people to remain in their communities longer before seeking care.

With no approved vaccine or treatment specifically targeting Bundibugyo virus, authorities are turning to experimental and repurposed medical tools.

Two vaccines designed specifically against Bundibugyo virus have entered human trials, Tedros said. A WHO-sponsored PARTNERS treatment trial is also evaluating antiviral remdesivir, the experimental monoclonal antibody MBP134 and their combination. Preliminary results could be available in “about three to four weeks,” Kamba said.

Researchers are also studying oral antiviral obeldesivir as post-exposure prophylaxis.

Authorities are meanwhile examining whether Ervebo, the licensed vaccine against Zaire ebolavirus, could provide protection against Bundibugyo virus. Kamba said observations among vaccinated health workers and laboratory studies had suggested possible cross-protection, while stressing that this remains unconfirmed.

Africa CDC on Monday backed a DRC request for controlled expanded use of Ervebo among high-risk frontline workers, alongside a Phase III trial to determine whether it can protect against Bundibugyo virus.

The WHO warned that the risk of further spread within the DRC is still “very high,” while the risk of cross-border transmission remains elevated.

Tshopo province and its capital Kisangani are of particular concern because of their road, river and air links, which could facilitate longer-distance transmission toward Kinshasa, the national capital. Kamba said no cases from the current outbreak had been confirmed in Kinshasa.

Authorities have stepped up screening along river routes to Kinshasa.

Tedros said population movement “along roads, rivers and mining routes,” combined with insecurity and displacement, was fueling the epidemic.

Uganda, South Sudan and the Central African Republic are considered at particularly high risk of imported cases because of their proximity to affected areas and frequent cross-border population movements, according to the WHO.

–IANS

/as

Add us to Google Preferred Sources
Indian Community Editorial Team

The Indian Community Editorial Team curates, verifies, and publishes stories that matter to Indians worldwide. From culture and community to business and innovation, our mission is to spotlight voices, ideas, and events that bring our global community closer together. Have news or a story to share? Submit it to us at [email protected].

Add A Comment

Formula 1: Max Verstappen pens contract extension with Red Bull till 2030

August 20, 2026

Prakash Raj to play revered carnatic music maestro in ‘Jagamae Sangeetham’

August 20, 2026

Three in four occupiers plan to expand their office portfolios in India over next two years

August 20, 2026

L&T wins order worth up to Rs 5,000 crore for Dubai airport APM system

August 20, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
About Us
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
Corporate
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
© 2026 Designed by CreativeMerchants.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.