Close Menu
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • Movie & OTT Releases This Week
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • NRI Life
  • Research
  • Advertise with us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Trending
  • Bethlehem Kudumba Unit Movie Review 2026: A Heartwarming Onam Blockbuster That Wins Hearts
  • Irumudi Movie Review 2026: Ravi Teja Delivers a Powerful Comeback Performance in Shiva Nirvana’s Emotional Thriller
  • Khalifa Movie Review 2026: Prithviraj’s Power-Packed Malayalam Blockbuster Is a Must-Watch
  • Modha Rathiri Movie Review 2026: A Hilarious, Heartwarming Village Wedding Comedy
  • Ram And Leela (2026) Movie Review: A Quirky Alien Rom-Com That Delivers Fun, Family Entertainment
  • Pyaar Prema Kalyanam Movie Review 2026: A Netflix Heartwarming Rom-Com Triumph
  • Harrd Disk Movie Review 2026: A Bold Political Thriller That Keeps You Hooked
  • Dial 1975 Movie Review: Kay Kay Menon’s Emergency-Era Thriller Delivers Gripping Suspense in 2026
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • News
    • National
    • International
    • Entertainment
    • Achievements
    • Scam Alerts
    • Business
    • Health & Medicine
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Latest Movie Releases
    • Latest OTT Releases
  • NRI Life
  • India & Culture
  • Health & Wellness
  • Research
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Home » News » National
National

Odisha govt initiates action against auto-rickshaws used in violent protest

Indian Community Editorial TeamBy Indian Community Editorial TeamAugust 20, 20263 Mins ReadNo Comments Add us to Google Preferred Sources
Odisha govt initiates action against auto-rickshaws used in violent protest
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Bhubaneswar, Aug 20 (IANS) The Odisha Transport Department has initiated action to cancel or suspend the permits of around 400 auto-rickshaws allegedly used to block roads during an ongoing protest by app-based cab drivers and bike riders at Master Canteen Square in Bhubaneswar, said an official on Thursday.

The road blockade and alleged vandalism by unruly protesters disrupted normal traffic in the area for some time in the master canteen square area on Wednesday.

Several government properties, including CRUT/Ama Bus vehicles, were reportedly damaged during the incident. Based on police records, CCTV footage and preliminary examination of seizure lists, authorities identified and seized more than 400 auto-rickshaws allegedly used to obstruct the road. The Transport Department said the use of vehicles for such illegal activities amounts to a violation of permit conditions.

Accordingly, proceedings have been initiated under Section 86(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, for suspension or cancellation of the permits. The Bhubaneswar-I RTO has issued show-cause notices to the registered owners and permit holders of the vehicles concerned.

They have been asked to provide details regarding who was in control of the vehicles during the incident and whether they were used with the owners’ permission, direction or knowledge.

The vehicle owners have been directed to submit written explanations along with the required documents within the stipulated deadline and appear before the RTO for a personal hearing. If no response is received within the prescribed period, or if the concerned persons fail to appear, the authorities may take a decision on permit suspension or cancellation based on the available records.

The Transport Department clarified that the action against the vehicle permits will not affect any separate criminal or other legal proceedings related to the incident.

On Thursday, the Commissionerate Police informed that 113 protesters have so far been arrested and forwarded to court in this case.

The Police seized 354 auto-rickshaws involved in the violent protest.

Similarly, 60 protesting online cab service drivers have been released on bond of good behaviour.

A total of seven cases have been registered in this regard at the Kharavel Nagar Police Station, said officials on Thursday.

The commissionerate police again warned that strong action will be taken against anyone taking the law into their hands. Notably, the app-based cab drivers and bike riders in Odisha have been holding protests in Bhubaneswar over several demands for the last couple of days.

However, the protest turned violent on Wednesday after the drivers staged a road blockade at bustling Master Canteen Square by keeping their auto-rickshaws on the road.

They clashed with police when the latter tried to clear the blockade by removing the vehicles. The protesters pelted stones at police and damaged some public buses at the spot.

The police later resorted to a mild baton charge to bring the situation under control.

–IANS

grm/dpb

Add us to Google Preferred Sources
Indian Community Editorial Team

The Indian Community Editorial Team curates, verifies, and publishes stories that matter to Indians worldwide. From culture and community to business and innovation, our mission is to spotlight voices, ideas, and events that bring our global community closer together. Have news or a story to share? Submit it to us at [email protected].

Add A Comment

Formula 1: Max Verstappen pens contract extension with Red Bull till 2030

August 20, 2026

Prakash Raj to play revered carnatic music maestro in ‘Jagamae Sangeetham’

August 20, 2026

Three in four occupiers plan to expand their office portfolios in India over next two years

August 20, 2026

L&T wins order worth up to Rs 5,000 crore for Dubai airport APM system

August 20, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
About Us
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
Corporate
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
© 2026 Designed by CreativeMerchants.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.