Close Menu
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • Movie & OTT Releases This Week
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • NRI Life
  • Research
  • Advertise with us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Trending
  • Pallaburusu Movie Review 2026: A Heartwarming Telangana Family Drama That Will Win You Over
  • Magudam Movie Review: Vishal’s Bold Directorial Debut Delivers Mass Entertainment in 2026
  • Batwara 1947 Movie Review 2026: Sunny Deol’s Heartfelt Partition Saga Is A Must-Watch Tribute To Unity
  • Awarapan 2 Review 2026: Emraan Hashmi’s Emotional Comeback Sets Screens On Fire
  • Vishwanath and Sons Review 2026: Suriya’s Heartwarming Family Blockbuster Wins Big
  • The Traitors Season 2 Review 2026: Karan Johar’s Explosive Reality Game Returns Bigger and Better
  • Agadha Movie Review 2026: A Powerful Supernatural Thriller That Delivers Spine-Chilling Thrills
  • Vadhandhi Season 2 Review (2026): A Gripping, Powerful Thriller Anchored By Sasikumar’s Career-Best Performance
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • News
    • National
    • International
    • Entertainment
    • Achievements
    • Scam Alerts
    • Business
    • Health & Medicine
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Latest Movie Releases
    • Latest OTT Releases
  • NRI Life
  • India & Culture
  • Health & Wellness
  • Research
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Home » News » National
National

TN plans Rs 10 lakh each for families of three Tamils killed in Karnataka forest firing

Indian Community Editorial TeamBy Indian Community Editorial TeamAugust 18, 20262 Mins ReadNo Comments Add us to Google Preferred Sources
TN plans Rs 10 lakh each for families of three Tamils killed in Karnataka forest firing
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Chennai, Aug 18 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government is considering financial assistance of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of three Tamil-origin men killed in firing by Karnataka Forest Department personnel near the inter-State border, Forest Minister R.V. Ranjithkumar informed the Legislative Assembly on Tuesday.

Responding to a special calling-attention motion, Ranjithkumar said the Forest Department was holding consultations on providing compensation following directions from Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay.

AIADMK general secretary and former Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami alleged that a major conspiracy could be behind the incident. He disputed Karnataka’s claim that the victims were involved in deer poaching and said their families maintained that they had entered the forest in search of cattle. As the firing occurred near the border, only a CBI investigation could establish the truth, he argued.

Palaniswami also described Karnataka’s Rs 5-lakh compensation as inadequate and urged the Tamil Nadu government to provide additional relief.

DMK MLA Manoj Pandian termed the firing a grave human rights violation that could amount to a “fake encounter”. He questioned whether Supreme Court guidelines had been followed and whether the National Human Rights Commission was informed. He sought murder charges against the personnel involved, a judicial inquiry, adequate compensation and employment for one member of each bereaved family.

Congress Legislature Party leader Tharahai Cuthbert supported a CBI investigation. She demanded higher compensation, government employment for the families and full medical assistance for the injured.

BJP MLA M. Bhojarajan offered condolences and urged political parties to set aside their differences, organise a joint protest and press for action against the officials if wrongdoing was established. He also maintained that the compensation announced by Karnataka was insufficient.

Law Minister R. Nirmalkumar identified the deceased as P. Anthonysamy, John Rose Peter and Kumar. Mariadoss and Benjamin escaped with injuries and are undergoing treatment at a private hospital. Their families had migrated to Karnataka about 75 years ago.

Nirmalkumar said nearly 300 people staged a road blockade after the firing, following which Karnataka announced Rs 5 lakh for each family.

Karnataka has ordered a magisterial inquiry to determine who opened fire first and who was responsible for the violence.

Police have also registered a case against the Forest Department personnel. The Minister said CM Vijay had rejected Karnataka’s explanation and demanded an impartial, high-level investigation.

–IANS

aal/uk

Add us to Google Preferred Sources
Indian Community Editorial Team

The Indian Community Editorial Team curates, verifies, and publishes stories that matter to Indians worldwide. From culture and community to business and innovation, our mission is to spotlight voices, ideas, and events that bring our global community closer together. Have news or a story to share? Submit it to us at [email protected].

Add A Comment

When Annu Kapoor mistakenly received Anil Kapoor’s cheque for his work

August 19, 2026

Matthew Perry’s mother shares birthday tribute for her late son: He wanted to help others struggling with addiction

August 19, 2026

Ronit Roy displays ‘courage’, as he posts ‘gandi photo’

August 19, 2026

Lyricist Ginny Diwan on Shreya Ghoshal: She brings such depth to every line

August 19, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
About Us
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
Corporate
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
© 2026 Designed by CreativeMerchants.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.