Close Menu
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • Movie & OTT Releases This Week
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • NRI Life
  • Research
  • Advertise with us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Trending
  • Pallaburusu Movie Review 2026: A Heartwarming Telangana Family Drama That Will Win You Over
  • Magudam Movie Review: Vishal’s Bold Directorial Debut Delivers Mass Entertainment in 2026
  • Batwara 1947 Movie Review 2026: Sunny Deol’s Heartfelt Partition Saga Is A Must-Watch Tribute To Unity
  • Awarapan 2 Review 2026: Emraan Hashmi’s Emotional Comeback Sets Screens On Fire
  • Vishwanath and Sons Review 2026: Suriya’s Heartwarming Family Blockbuster Wins Big
  • The Traitors Season 2 Review 2026: Karan Johar’s Explosive Reality Game Returns Bigger and Better
  • Agadha Movie Review 2026: A Powerful Supernatural Thriller That Delivers Spine-Chilling Thrills
  • Vadhandhi Season 2 Review (2026): A Gripping, Powerful Thriller Anchored By Sasikumar’s Career-Best Performance
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • News
    • National
    • International
    • Entertainment
    • Achievements
    • Scam Alerts
    • Business
    • Health & Medicine
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Latest Movie Releases
    • Latest OTT Releases
  • NRI Life
  • India & Culture
  • Health & Wellness
  • Research
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Home » News » National
National

We are not scared: Ex-Kerala Minister Riyas on ED action in wife Veena-linked CMRL case

Indian Community Editorial TeamBy Indian Community Editorial TeamAugust 19, 20264 Mins ReadNo Comments Add us to Google Preferred Sources
We are not scared: Ex-Kerala Minister Riyas on ED action in wife Veena-linked CMRL case
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 19 (IANS) Breaking his silence amid the Enforcement Directorate’s widening probe into the CMRL-Exalogic monthly-payment case, former Kerala Minister P.A. Mohammed Riyas on Wednesday launched a strong political and legal counterattack, dismissing the allegations surrounding his wife Veena T. and describing the raids on his long-time friends in Kozhikode as an attempt to create a smokescreen.

This is Riyas’ first detailed response since the ED’s action against people in his close circle and comes at a time when Veena is understood to have faced prolonged questioning by the agency.

Firmly rejecting the allegations, Riyas said Veena’s business activities were completely legitimate and challenged anyone questioning her credentials to examine his election nomination papers.

“Now a new story is being spread that Veena started a firm. It is not true. Anyone can check my nomination papers; everything is there,” Riyas said.

He stressed that Veena was an individual in her own right and that there was nothing preventing her from engaging in business.

Describing the allegations as baseless narratives, Riyas said he had decided to confront them both legally and politically.

His remarks assume significance as the ED has now turned its attention to several of his long-standing friends and associates in Kozhikode.

“My long-time friends have now come under raids. Anyone can find out about their character. I have known them for a long time. Everyone in Kozhikode knows about their businesses,” he said, arguing that the raids were being used to create a smokescreen.

Riyas also directly attacked the BJP-led Central government, alleging that the ED was being used as a political instrument.

“Everyone knows how the ED is used by the BJP government,” he said, adding that nobody should assume that his relations with his friends would be affected merely because their premises had been searched.

Riyas maintained that he and the CPI(M) had decided to confront the allegations and insisted that there would be no retreat. “Nobody should think that we are going to be scared,” he said.

The former minister also sought to put his wife’s professional background on record. Veena, he said, was highly qualified and had held senior positions in companies before moving into consultancy and business.

“No wrong has been done. Let the case go forward; we will deal with it,” he said.

The ED has been examining financial transactions allegedly involving Veena, Riyas and people in his circle after searches at multiple locations in Kozhikode on Tuesday.

The agency is scrutinising documents and digital evidence seized during the raids and is also looking into alleged transactions involving Solas, an advertising company linked to CPI(M) district secretariat member P. Nikhil.

Riyas said he would no longer respond to every question raised by the media and would instead allow the investigation to proceed.

He said he had consulted legal experts and would fight the matter through legal and political means.

“I strongly oppose the party which rules the country. I will continue my politics,” Riyas said, drawing a contrast with Congress leaders who had joined the BJP.

The ED probe now comes at a politically sensitive juncture for Riyas.

His rapid rise within the CPI(M) after his marriage to Veena, from securing the party ticket in the 2021 Assembly elections to entering the Cabinet with the key PWD and Tourism portfolios and subsequently gaining a place in the powerful State Secretariat, had already caused unease in sections of the party.

With his close associates now under the ED scanner, the issue is expected to acquire greater political significance at the extended CPI(M) State Committee meeting scheduled to be held in Kozhikode next month.

For the Vijayan family, the coming weeks could prove crucial, particularly if the ED proceeds with further notices or tougher measures.

–IANS

sg/dpb

Add us to Google Preferred Sources
Indian Community Editorial Team

The Indian Community Editorial Team curates, verifies, and publishes stories that matter to Indians worldwide. From culture and community to business and innovation, our mission is to spotlight voices, ideas, and events that bring our global community closer together. Have news or a story to share? Submit it to us at [email protected].

Add A Comment

Formula 1: Max Verstappen pens contract extension with Red Bull till 2030

August 20, 2026

Prakash Raj to play revered carnatic music maestro in ‘Jagamae Sangeetham’

August 20, 2026

Three in four occupiers plan to expand their office portfolios in India over next two years

August 20, 2026

L&T wins order worth up to Rs 5,000 crore for Dubai airport APM system

August 20, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
About Us
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
Corporate
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
© 2026 Designed by CreativeMerchants.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.