Latest Combined Forces Command News & Updates

Seoul, July 1 (IANS) South Korea’s defence ministry on Wednesday reviewed the progress of Seoul’s push to complete the verification of full operational capability (FOC) within this year, as it seeks to expedite the transfer of wartime operational control (OPCON) from Washington. The move comes as South Korea’s Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back vowed to hold such meetings every quarter this year as part of efforts to complete the transition within South Korean President Lee Jae Myung’s five-year term…

Washington, June 25 (IANS) The United States is focused on ensuring that necessary conditions for the transfer of wartime operational control (OPCON) to South Korea will be met “as soon as possible,” a senior US diplomat said Thursday, noting it “understands” Seoul’s desire to retake OPCON quickly.Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Michael DeSombre made the remarks during a hearing of the Subcommittee on East Asia and Pacific Affairs under the House Foreign Affairs C…

Singapore, May 30 (IANS) US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth on Saturday called for finding a “balance” in the transfer of wartime operational control (OPCON) to South Korea in a way that respects the roles the US military has played for decades.Hegseth made the remarks at a defence forum in Singapore amid growing concerns over what appear to be differing views between Seoul and Washington over when and how the transition should proceed, Yonhap news agency reported.”I think we have to find the bal…

Singapore, May 30 (IANS) US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth on Saturday called for finding a “balance” in the transfer of wartime operational control (OPCON) to South Korea in a way that respects the roles the US military has played for decades.Hegseth made the remarks at a defence forum in Singapore amid growing concerns over what appears to be differing views between Seoul and Washington over when and how the transition should proceed.”I think we have to find the balance of where our military p…

Seoul, May 28 (IANS) The South Korea-US alliance remains committed to a “conditions-based” transfer of wartime operational control (OPCON) to Seoul from Washington, a US Forces Korea (USFK) official said, amid a report that the US military has expressed concerns over a potentially rushed OPCON transition. The official’s remarks came after the Chosun Ilbo, a Korean daily, reported that USFK told the South Korean side a hurried OPCON transition would make it difficult for American troops to come u…

Seoul, May 26 (IANS) South Korea’s President Lee Jae Myung on Tuesday instructed officials to accelerate efforts to fulfil South Korea’s plan to acquire nuclear-powered submarines.The president made the call during a Cabinet meeting, highlighting the need to enhance the country’s self-defence capabilities amid North Korea’s growing nuclear and missile threats.In a fact sheet released after a South Korea-US summit late last year, Washington expressed support for Seoul to build nuclear-powered, …

Seoul, April 23 (IANS) A timeline for the handover of wartime operational control (OPCON) to South Korea from the United States will be set in this year’s annual ministerial meeting and proposed to the leaders of the two countries, Seoul’s defence ministry said on Thursday. The remarks by a ministry official came after US Forces Korea (USFK) commander Gen. Xavier Brunson said the allies aim to meet conditions required for the envisioned OPCON transfer no later than the first quarter of 2029.”Bas…

Seoul, Feb 24 (IANS) A potential trip to South Korea by a US delegation for negotiations on security issues is being delayed due to scheduling matters, a senior Seoul official said Tuesday, dismissing speculation that the delay was related to trade issues. The US delegation had been widely expected to visit South Korea as early as late February to discuss security issues under a joint fact sheet that ranges from Seoul’s bid to build nuclear-powered submarines to bilateral cooperation on nuclear …

Seoul, Feb 21 (IANS) South Korea’s Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back has lodged a protest with the United States Forces Korea (USFK) early this week over its brief standoff with Chinese fighter jets during a rare air exercise, military sources said on Saturday.Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back has delivered a complaint in a call with Gen. Xavier Brunson, the commander of the Combined Forces Command and the United States Forces Korea, immediately after he received a report of the incident on Wednesday, a…

Seoul, Jan 26 (IANS) South Korea’s Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back held talks on Monday with US Under Secretary of Defence for Policy Elbridge Colby to discuss Seoul’s push to build nuclear-powered submarines, regain wartime operation control of its troops from Washington and other pending security issues. Ahn referred to the joint fact sheet the two countries released last year following their leaders’ summit, as well as their recent Security Consultative Meeting, saying their alliance has reache…