Close Menu
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • Movie & OTT Releases This Week
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • NRI Life
  • Research
  • Advertise with us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Trending
  • Pallaburusu Movie Review 2026: A Heartwarming Telangana Family Drama That Will Win You Over
  • Magudam Movie Review: Vishal’s Bold Directorial Debut Delivers Mass Entertainment in 2026
  • Batwara 1947 Movie Review 2026: Sunny Deol’s Heartfelt Partition Saga Is A Must-Watch Tribute To Unity
  • Awarapan 2 Review 2026: Emraan Hashmi’s Emotional Comeback Sets Screens On Fire
  • Vishwanath and Sons Review 2026: Suriya’s Heartwarming Family Blockbuster Wins Big
  • The Traitors Season 2 Review 2026: Karan Johar’s Explosive Reality Game Returns Bigger and Better
  • Agadha Movie Review 2026: A Powerful Supernatural Thriller That Delivers Spine-Chilling Thrills
  • Vadhandhi Season 2 Review (2026): A Gripping, Powerful Thriller Anchored By Sasikumar’s Career-Best Performance
  • Indian Festivals 2026
  • News
    • National
    • International
    • Entertainment
    • Achievements
    • Scam Alerts
    • Business
    • Health & Medicine
    • Science & Technology
    • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Latest Movie Releases
    • Latest OTT Releases
  • NRI Life
  • India & Culture
  • Health & Wellness
  • Research
Indian CommunityIndian Community
Home » News » National
National

BJP attacks K'taka govt over 'encounter' of 3 poachers in Chamarajanagar reserve forests by Forest Dept officials; seeks probe

Indian Community Editorial TeamBy Indian Community Editorial TeamAugust 17, 20264 Mins ReadNo Comments Add us to Google Preferred Sources
BJP attacks K'taka govt over 'encounter' of 3 poachers in Chamarajanagar reserve forests by Forest Dept officials; seeks probe
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Bengaluru, Aug 17 (IANS) The BJP on Monday attacked the Karnataka government over the alleged encounter in which three alleged poachers were killed in the Chamarajanagar reserve forests by the Forest Department officials. It demanded an investigation into the incident and questioned the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

Earlier in the day, in the Legislative Assembly, Forest and Ecology Minister Ramalinga Reddy said the forest officials received information around 8 p.m. on August 14 about poachers entering the Shagya jurisdiction of the Hanur Sub-Division of the Cauvery Wildlife Reserve with weapons and sent two search teams.

In the Karadikallu area, forest personnel came upon the poachers hiding behind boulders, firing at them.

Reddy said that after the forest staff came under fire, they returned fire in the direction from which the bullets were being fired. The poachers were positioned at a higher elevation and continued firing at the forest personnel who returned fire as they were authorised to do so, he said.

Around 10 forest personnel also received treatment for injuries, the minister said. A case has been registered in connection with the incident as the poachers had not obtained permission to enter the reserve forest. During the operation, forest personnel recovered around 34.5 kg of suspected wildlife meat, he said.

Responding to the explanation, Opposition leaders R. Ashoka, Chhalavadi Narayanaswamy and BJP State President and MLA B.Y. Vijayendra alleged that the Forest Department had used excessive force and demanded that the government clarify its stand before the legislature.

Speaking in the Legislative Assembly, Opposition Leader R. Ashoka alleged that the three men were killed at close range and questioned the Forest Department’s claim that the firing was carried out in self-defence.

He alleged a fourth person who was injured in the incident had been admitted to a hospital in Mysuru but had subsequently disappeared. Ashoka questioned why the statement of the injured person was not mentioned in the government’s explanation of the incident.

“If the three deceased were forest bandits like Veerappan, so many farmers would not have protested in their support,” Ashoka claimed, questioning the circumstances that led to the encounter. He also pointed out that the government itself had stated that the deceased had no previous cases related to forest offences.

“If they had a criminal background, their names should have appeared in the rowdy sheets. Then why were they killed in an encounter?” he asked.

He acknowledged that forest officials have the authority to use firearms in self-defence but argued that the circumstances of the incident raised questions over whether such force was necessary.

“When they were at close range, the officials could have fired at their legs. Instead, they fired at the chest and neck,” Ashoka alleged.

“There are usually several forest personnel in the area. With hundreds of staff available, they could have caught them. What was the need to kill all three?” he asked.

Ashoka said people living near forests often enter forest areas to collect firewood or graze cattle and have historically depended on forest resources for their livelihood. He warned that excessive action against such people could create fear among communities living along forest boundaries.

Meanwhile, Leader of the Opposition in the Legislative Council Chhalavadi Narayanaswamy alleged that the government had “murdered” three people in the Mariyamangala forest area of the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in Hanur taluk.

Narayanaswamy questioned the government’s claim of protecting minority communities, alleging that the three deceased belonged to the same community. He claimed that local residents had described the deceased as respectable people and alleged that there had been long-standing disputes between them and forest officials.

BJP State President and MLA B.Y. Vijayendra also demanded a comprehensive and impartial investigation, saying the encounter had raised serious doubts.

Speaking in the Assembly, Vijayendra said conflicts between forest-dwelling communities and Forest Department officials had been reported from several parts of Karnataka, including Shivamogga, Karwar, Madikeri and the coastal region.

He said the government’s explanation that the encounter occurred in self-defence had not addressed all questions surrounding the incident.

“What action will the government take against the officials responsible for the Hanur encounter? Will they be suspended or will some other action be taken? How much compensation will be provided to the families of the deceased?” Vijayendra asked.

–IANS

mka/rad

Add us to Google Preferred Sources
Indian Community Editorial Team

The Indian Community Editorial Team curates, verifies, and publishes stories that matter to Indians worldwide. From culture and community to business and innovation, our mission is to spotlight voices, ideas, and events that bring our global community closer together. Have news or a story to share? Submit it to us at [email protected].

Add A Comment

India’s young people bring extraordinary potential, PM-SETU can transform ITIs into centres of excellence: Jayant Chaudhary

August 17, 2026

CEC Gyanesh Kumar calls for familiarising students with electoral system

August 17, 2026

Shivraj Singh Chouhan approves 2.89 lakh houses worth Rs 3,473 crore for Rajasthan

August 17, 2026

Rajasthan govt takes action against private hotel for expired food items

August 17, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
About Us
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
Corporate
  • Download Indian Community App
  • Advertise Here
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Terms of Service
© 2026 Designed by CreativeMerchants.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.