Latest New York Times News & Updates

Washington, May 17 (IANS) US President Donald Trump issued a veiled warning over rising tensions in the Middle East, posting an AI-generated image and message that read, “It was the calm before the storm,” amid reports that he is in discussions with top aides on potentially resuming air strikes on Iran.The image shared on his social media shows Trump wearing a Make America Great Again hat alongside a US Navy Admiral, standing on a naval ship amid rough seas and lightning. Iranian ships can b…

Washington, May 5 (IANS) US President Donald Trump has congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi on what the White House described as a “historic, and decisive election victory” in West Bengal, where the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has secured a breakthrough win. “Just last month on their phone call, President Trump expressed to Prime Minister Modi his admiration and how lucky India is to have him as its leader. The President congratulates Prime Minister Modi on this recent, historic, an…

Bengaluru, April 24 (IANS) The 97th birth anniversary of legendary Kannada cinema icon Dr Rajkumar is being observed on Friday across Karnataka with reverence and enthusiasm, with major events planned at Kanteerava Studio in Bengaluru, where he is laid to rest.Family members are scheduled to offer special prayers at Dr Rajkumar’s memorial at the studio. The state government will also pay its respects, with an official programme being organised by the Department of Information and Public Relati…

Washington, April 21 (IANS) US Vice President JD Vance is set to travel to Pakistan on Tuesday for a fresh round of talks related to the ongoing tensions with Iran, according to a report by Axios, which cited US sources. The development comes amid rising geopolitical strain in the region, although Iran has not yet confirmed its participation in the proposed negotiations.The visit follows a series of escalating actions that have heightened concerns over global energy security and regional stabili…

Washington, April 15 (IANS) The United States convened a rare, high-level direct meeting between Israel and Lebanon. The first such engagement in over three decades set the stage for direct negotiations.Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who hosted the talks at the State Department, called it “a historic opportunity” and said the effort aimed beyond an immediate ceasefire. “This is about bringing a permanent end to 20 or 30 years of Hizballah’s influence in this part of the world,” he sai…

Washington, April 11 (IANS) The United States and Iran are heading into high-stakes ceasefire talks in Islamabad amid deep mistrust, competing demands and mounting pressure on both sides to find an exit from the conflict, according to mainstream American media reports.As The Washington Post reported, the two sides appear to share little common ground beyond “their need to find an exit ramp from the war.”Ahead of the talks, both countries accused each other of acting in bad faith. US Presiden…

Washington, April 7 (IANS) US President Donald Trump threatened legal action against journalists and media organisations over a leak related to a high-risk US rescue mission in Iran, saying reporters could face jail if they refused to reveal their sources.“We’re looking very hard to find that leaker,” Trump said, adding that the administration would tell the media outlet involved: “national security, give it up or go to jail.”Trump said the leak revealed that one American airman was st…

New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) The Centre on Saturday clarified that the recent telephone conversation held on March 24 was exclusively between US President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, dismissing reports that billionaire Elon Musk was also part of the discussion.The call, which took place on Tuesday, marked the first interaction between the two leaders since the escalation of hostilities involving Israel and the United States against Iran beginning on February 28.The conversation …

Washington, March 24 (IANS) A series of backchannel talks helped shape President Donald Trump’s decision to pause planned strikes on Iran, according to US media reports.The Wall Street Journal reported that officials from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan were involved in closed-door discussions to find a way out of the conflict.The White House, however, refrained from giving any details. “These are sensitive diplomatic discussions and the United States will not negotiate through the…

Washington, March 12, (IANS) The White House pushed back sharply against critical reporting in major US newspapers on the Trump administration’s handling of the war with Iran and its impact on global energy markets, accusing the media of spreading a “fake narrative” about the objectives of the military campaign.Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said reports suggesting confusion or “mixed messaging” about the goals of Operation Epic Fury were incorrect.“The left-wing media is lying and…