Latest Bargi Dam News & Updates

Jabalpur, May 12 (IANS) Taking a strict view of the Bargi Dam cruise tragedy in which 13 people died, the Madhya Pradesh High Court on Tuesday directed that cruise services and boating club operations across the state remain suspended during the ongoing judicial inquiry into the incident.​ The direction came during the hearing of Public Interest Litigations, including the main petition filed by social worker Pushpa Tiwari, before a Division Bench of Chief Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva and Justice V…

Bhopal, May 10 (IANS) The government of Madhya Pradesh has officially ordered a judicial inquiry into the tragic cruise accident at the Bargi Dam in Jabalpur, which resulted in the loss of at least 13 lives earlier this month. To lead this investigation, the state administration has constituted a one member inquiry commission headed by retired High Court Justice Sanjay Dwivedi. The commission has been tasked with conducting a thorough probe and is expected to submit its findings to the governmen…

Jabalpur, May 5 (IANS) In a significant development in the Bargi Dam cruise tragedy, a district court in Madhya Pradesh’s Jabalpur on Tuesday took suo motu cognisance of the incident that claimed 13 lives and directed the police to register an FIR against the boat driver and crew members, citing serious lapses in rescue efforts. Judicial Magistrate D.P. Sutrakar said that the “failure” of the cruise boat driver and other crew members to attempt rescuing drowning passengers amounts to an attempt …

Bhopal/Jabalpur, May 3 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh’s Culture and Tourism Minister Dharmendra Singh Lodhi on Sunday termed the Bargi Dam cruise tragedy in Jabalpur “deeply distressing” and acknowledged that while a sudden storm triggered the sinking of the vessel, negligence at some level cannot be ruled out.In an exclusive conversation with IANS after the four-day-long search operation concluded on Sunday, the Minister outlined the government’s position, the ongoing inquiry, and the immediate …

Bhopal/Jabalpur, May 3 (IANS) The Jabalpur administration in Madhya Pradesh has confirmed that the search and rescue operation at Bargi Dam has concluded following the recovery of the body of the last missing person.The recovery of Kamaraj’s body on Sunday marked the end of a multi-day search effort following the capsizing of a tourist cruise boat during a severe storm on the evening of April 30.The total number of fatalities has now reached 13, police officials said.The tragedy deepened earlier…

Jabalpur, May 2 (IANS) Two more bodies were recovered on Saturday evening in the Bargi Dam cruise accident, taking the death toll to 11, even as the Jabalpur district administration intensified efforts to trace the missing and manage the repatriation of victims.​ The Jabalpur district administration confirmed that the bodies of two children, four-year-old Viraj Soni and six-year-old Shritamil, were recovered near the accident site and sent for post-mortem.​The administration said the focus h…

Jabalpur, May 2 (IANS) Congress Rajya Sabha member Vivek Tankha visited the families of victims of the Jabalpur cruise tragedy on Saturday and expressed deep sorrow over the incident, while demanding that authorities carry out strict action against those responsible for allowing the vessel to operate despite adverse weather conditions. Two days after the boat carrying 41 passengers capsized in the backwaters of the Narmada River, authorities have expanded the search operation significantly, wide…

Jabalpur, May 2 (IANS) The coordinated search operation for four persons missing after the Bargi Dam cruise boat accident in Madhya Pradesh’s Jabalpur district, continued on Saturday amid difficult weather conditions and strong water currents, by teams from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), and the Army.Officials said the rescue operation began around 7:00 A.M., with divers and boats deployed across an expanded search area in an attempt to trace…

Bhopal/Jabalpur, May 2 (IANS) Rescue operations at the Bargi Dam reservoir in Jabalpur district intensified on Saturday as specialised teams worked tirelessly to locate four individuals still missing following the devastating cruise boat accident on Thursday evening.While nine people are confirmed dead, four more people are still missing. Of them, according to police, three are children and one is an adult.Speaking to IANS, Anjul Ayank Mishra, City Superintendent of Police, Bargi zone said, “As …

Jabalpur, May 1 (IANS) The Madhya Pradesh government on Friday initiated stringent action against those found negligent in the cruise accident at Bargi Reservoir in Jabalpur.​ Cruise pilot Mahesh Patel, helper Chhotelal Gond, and ticket counter in-charge (Front Office Assistant) Brijendra were dismissed from service with immediate effect, the government said in a statement on Friday evening.​It further stated that Sunil Maravi, manager of Hotel Maikal Resort and Boat Club Bargi, has been sus…