Beijing, May 23 (IANS) The death toll from heavy rainfall in Shimen County, central China’s Hunan Province, rose to seven, with 14 others still missing, local authorities said. Among the missing, five were added following further investigation, according to the county’s emergency management and production safety committee. Search and rescue operations are underway, reports Xinhua news agency.The severe downpour started at 7 a.m. Sunday. It is the first round of torrential rain to hit the county …
Latest Hunan province News & Updates
Changsha, May 12 (IANS) A fire at a residential building in central China’s Hunan Province has left five people dead and two others injured, according to the local emergency management bureau.The blaze occurred around 3 a.m. Tuesday in Yanfeng District of Hengyang City. The injured are receiving medical treatment. The cause of the fire is under investigation.Earlier on May 5, Chinese President Xi Jinping had ordered an investigation after an explosion ripped through a fireworks factory in centra…
Kolkata, May 11 (IANS) Following the recent detention of a Chinese national by Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) for illegally entering India from Nepal, the Chinese Consulate General in Kolkata has once again advised its nationals to strictly avoid inadvertently crossing into Indian territory without valid travel documents.In a statement issued on Monday, the consulate reminded Chinese nationals that they must obtain an Indian visa before entering India. It noted that the Nepal-India border is an open …
Changsha, May 5 (IANS) The fireworks plant explosion in central China’s Hunan Province has left 21 people dead and 61 others injured, authorities said Tuesday.The explosion occurred at around 4:43 p.m. Monday at the plant of Huasheng fireworks manufacturing and display company in Liuyang, a county-level city under Changsha, capital city of Hunan.More than 480 rescuers in five teams have been mobilised for the rescue, with three rescue robots deployed.As the explosion site is located near two bla…
New York, March 25 (IANS) Human Rights Watch (HRW), a US-based advocacy group, on Wednesday called on the Chinese authorities to immediately overturn the conviction of prominent human rights lawyer Xie Yang and release him unconditionally, citing serious procedural violations and years of persecution. According to the leading rights body, a court in China sentenced the prominent human rights lawyer Xie Yang to five years in prison on March 23 on “politically motivated” charges of “inciting…
