Seoul, May 15 (IANS) A 4,400-tonne South Korean destroyer departed from a naval base in the southeastern city of Busan on Friday for rotational deployment in an overseas mission based off the Somali coast, the Navy said.The ROKS Wang Geon destroyer departed from Busan, about 330 kilometres southeast of Seoul, to serve in the Cheonghae unit, which is currently on an anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden off the Somali coast, Yonhap news agency reported.The Cheonghae unit’s current scope of oper…
Latest Busan News & Updates
Seoul, May 14 (IANS) Two Chinese nationals were sentenced to prison Thursday for illegally filming fighter jets at several South Korean and US military facilities and attempting to intercept traffic control communications.The Suwon District Court sentenced an 18-year-old Chinese high school student to an indeterminate prison term of 1 1/2 to two years and a 20-year-old Chinese man to two years in prison, both for general treason. An indeterminate sentence is applied to minors under the juvenile …
Seoul, May 9 (IANS) South Korea’s President Lee Jae Myung said Saturday he survived a 2024 knife attack thanks to people’s support and will devote himself wholly to the country, a day after the state civil rights commission overturned an earlier decision with regard to his airlift to Seoul from Busan at the time of the attack. Lee was stabbed in the neck by a 67-year-old man posing as a supporter during a visit to the southeastern city of Busan on Jan. 2, 2024, and was transported by helicopter …
Seoul, May 9 (IANS) South Korean President Lee Jae Myung said on Saturday he survived a 2024 knife attack thanks to people’s support and will devote himself wholly to the country, a day after the state civil rights commission overturned an earlier decision with regard to his airlift to Seoul from Busan at the time of the attack. Lee was stabbed in the neck by a 67-year-old man posing as a supporter during a visit to the southeastern city of Busan on January 2, 2024, and was transported by helico…
Seoul, May 1 (IANS) Highways across South Korea were congested Friday, as outbound traffic built up on the first day of an extended holiday that began with Labour Day. Earlier this year, the government designated Labour Day as a national holiday, allowing all workers to take the day off. If people take Monday off, they can enjoy up to five days of holiday including the weekend as Children’s Day, another national holiday, falls on Tuesday this year.More than six million vehicles were estimated to…
Seoul, April 29 (IANS) Cargo processed at South Korean seaports grew 1.5 per cent from a year earlier in the first quarter, showing limited impact from the Middle Eastern conflict, the oceans ministry said on Wednesday.Cargo handled at the country’s seaports nationwide came to 388.45 million tons during the January-March period, up from 382.89 million tons tallied the same period last year, according to the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries.Of them, export-import cargo totaled 327.48 million tons…
Seoul, April 12 (IANS) The number of passengers using South Korea’s railroad services reached a record high of over 42 million in the first quarter of the year, data showed on Sunday, partly driven by expanded train operations and rising oil prices that reduced private vehicle use.The number of passengers on high-speed KTX and other railroad lines across the country totaled 42.11 million in the January-March period, up 2.1 percent from 41.25 million recorded during the same period last year, acc…
London, April 10 (IANS) The Baloch National Movement (BNM) staged a protest in London outside the Prime Minister’s House against ongoing human rights violations across Balochistan, including enforced disappearances, collective punishment, and the “genocide” of civilians by the Pakistani forces. The demonstrations held this week were part of the month-long BNM Global Campaign running from March 10 and brought together a large number of members of the Baloch diaspora.According to the BNM, du…
Seoul, April 7 (IANS) The Baloch National Movement (BNM) held a peaceful protest in South Korea’s Busan, highlighting the persistent human rights abuses in Balochistan, including enforced disappearances, extrajudicial killings, torture, collective punishment and systematic military repression by Pakistani forces. The demonstrations held on April 5 near Sasang Station were part of the ongoing BNM Global Campaign running from March 10 to April 9 and brought together Baloch community members, sup…
Seoul, March 23 (IANS) The Baloch National Movement (BNM) held a peaceful protest in South Korea’s Busan, highlighting the ongoing grave human rights violations across Balochistan, including enforced disappearances, extrajudicial killings, torture, and systematic repression targeting Baloch civilians, activists, and entire families at the hands of Pakistani forces.According to the BNM, the demonstration on Sunday evening near the Apple Outlet at Sasang Station was part of the broader global ca…
